Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"it was like there'd been a drought, and every word He spoke was rain"

I was preparing tonight's family home evening lesson, and it's about when Jesus Christ came to visit the Nephites. 3 Nephi Chapter 17 is a lot of peoples favorites in the Book of Mormon, I know. It's mine, too! I always think of that song from the Women of the well CD-"He came for me" whenever this story comes up. It's always been a favorite song. The song is about a mom telling her child what it was like to see Jesus when he visited them. When i was 19 & engaged to Steven I was asked to dress up like a nephite girl and sing this song for both Junior & Senior Primary. A lady in my ward had a bunch of costume stuff -kind of Easter Pageant looking stuff. I wish i had taken more pictures during this time of my life.. At the time my hair was shorter than its ever been so i couldn't braid it, but i found this dress & headpiece that did the job of making me look sort of Nephite-ish. In the primary room they had cleared all the chairs and had me sitting with my legs sideways on the ground. Before they brought the kids in they talked out in the hall about how Christ came to the Nephites and visited the children. . When the children came in the room- they came in so quietly and sat down and the beginning music to the song started and it has that flutey-indian sound. I remember trying to keep it together because when i saw those sweet children's face i thought about how i would really feel if I met Jesus and was telling my child about it. I was also reading all of those "Tennis shoes among the Nephites" books at the time and had just finished the "Kingdom and the Crown" series. I felt very close to this story and I felt the spirit so strong both times I sang it for those kids. I hope I did the song justice, but I remember feeling very at ease while I was singing in front of them, thats not usual for me. Well I youtubed this song for fhe and Finnick had just woken up from his nap. I sat at the computer and sang along with it and it was so sweet holding my own sweet baby & remembering singing for those kids when i was just a teenager. I'm so glad I had that experience, it was very sweet.
Come close my precious child Listen to the words I'll say Many years ago, before you were born Jesus came, and He changed my life forever It was dark for many days The storms had taken all we owned I'd been driven to my knees Longing for the warmth of my home When a light appeared above me He had comeKing of all Kings Ruler of Worlds For His other sheep I felt His hands I touched His feet I'll forever rejoice He came for me It was like there'd been a drought And every word He spoke was rain Bringing hope into our lives And life to the promise of prophets Passed down through the ages Then He called the children close He loved them just as I love you He let them touch the marks He let them kiss His cheek Any they knew. We all knew!
listening to this song makes me want to watch the end of the "Testaments" movie, too! :)

1 comment:

Mommy Karen said...

salena, thank you so much for your wonderful blog about singing for those children. i listened to the song and it is beautiful! the other video was wonderful as well, it was just what i needed this morning, thanks.