Monday, June 15, 2009

Payson Sprint Triathalon

We did this with a few couples in our ward...it was SO much fun! Friday we spent the night at my parents so that we could leave at 4am to get to Payson to check in by 6am. It was so hard to fall asleep cause I was so worried I would sleep through the 3 alarms I set, since I usually just turn it off in my sleep. But I ended up waking up at 2:45 wIDE awake. We drove up with the Berkey's and they're so much fun! I was laughing the whole car ride up! I wasnt really nervous before it started, but when I started on my 2nd lap in the pool I started to feel some major anxiety! Okay so every time I'd talk to everyone about training for it..they'd ask if I was training for the bike part. And I thought how hard can biking be right? I've done spin classes..I'm good. I freaking hated my life during the first lap of the biking. It was never ending HILLS! Love the show, hate real Hills. It was Payson though..shouldve expected it I guess. Steven and I got lost a bit by like 10-15 minutes! They had some confusing arrow signs. Then on my 2nd lap I took a wrong turn and got lost for about 5 minutes! Of course, I was probably the only one too, who got lost this much...or at all. On the first really nasty hill I told Steven to go ahead..so I was on my own to face a million more hills. Hate Damn hills. When I finally saw the end I had to break it to myself that I had to do this AGAIN! The guy was like "First lap go straight, last lap turn right..oh #142..you should be last lap right" and I was like "umm no" (embarrasing!) I kept seeing people pass me and I kept wondering if that was the last person to pass me and if I would be the last person to finish, even though I was only in the 2nd heat! Anyways..me talking about the biking part is almost as long as it took to ride it so I'll move on. Once I got to the running I felt pretty happy. I passed the 1 mile mark and thought..i'm good. Then the 2nd mile sign seemed to never come..finally when I was finished I saw everyone in my group already done and I hated all of them..jk. As I was finishing, Steven started singing really ugly.. "Its your life..what you gonna do?" (remember from Biggest Loser when they ran the marathon?) My results were
500 m swim: 13 m 45 s, 15 mile bike: 1 hr 52 mins (no one got near as bad as that..haha!) and the 5k run: 43 m 6 sec
I was thinking about the biking today and I thought..I wanna do that again! I'm just weird and crazy. No but.. It was so much fun..and I've never done anything like this before. And it was even more fun doing it with a group of people! Steven did awesome ..considering he would never run with me and he didnt train even a little bit for it! Everyone else in our group had like amazing times..and Clarissa got 4th out of our age division..which is like most of the people there!
The group: Us, Tyler and Nicole Berkey, Kai and Clarissa Nelson, Charlie and Chelsea Hansen

8 comments:

Camille Witter said...

I'm so proud of you and steven! Way to go! I was gonna do a half marathon here, just to say I ran one in England, but then I smartened up and remembered how much I hate to run! The swimming part would be fun I'd like that. Sounds super tiring!

Tiffanyann said...

That is way impressive!! I think that I would have drowned first and that would have been the end. I hated swim team growing up, I was always last and was dead after just the warm up!!

amy said...

Sounds like you had a blast! What an accomplishment! I keep saying maybe someday....., but you inspire me to try it. P.S.- Your boys are such cuties! They are getting so big.

Shawn and Tasha said...

Okay, that sounds awesome! Way to go Salena. Some times I think my dad's crazy for doing so many marathons. He kills himself just about every time, but claims when he's finished that he wants to do another one.:) Just going and watching him makes me want to get up and start running. Looks like you guys had a blast!!

Anonymous said...

I bet it's so much harder actually doing it. Why I have not yet attempted it..Im no brave person. :) No really you should be proud!! Im laughing about your " hate Damn hills"...and Stephen singing "It's your life"...that guys seriously cracks me up! Though Im thinking you should record him singing it and post it, so we can all live it. Im sure he wouldn't mind. :) Seriously...that would be so funny!

Way to go girl..your my hero!!

ConnieB said...

That's awesome, good work! I would've totally loved to be one of those couples doing it with you guys!

Brandi said...

I think it's so awesome that you guys did this!! Sounds like so much fun, but I'm never brave enough for stuff like that! Maybe I need to just go train for something & surprise myself.. who knows..
Steven & Trevor are so much alike! He could go & do something like that with NO training & I would be DYING!! :) Gotta love people who come by it naturally... Not really though, I hate people like that.. j/k :) CONGRATS though, that's a huge accomplishment!! Just finishing it!! :)

The Ayers Family said...

Holy Crap Salena! You rock! And you've convinced me that I will NEVER do something like that! ;)
Tell the Nelson's I say HI! I've known Kai forever!