Saturday, February 16, 2008

Jasper's home!

Jasper got to come home on Friday! They put him on Propanolol, and sent me home with a stethoscope to listen to his heart rate before I give him the medicine to make sure it's not too low or too high. Too low would be 70 and and too high would be 190, they said. He seems to be keeping his heart rate somewhere between 120 and 160, which is good! Stress definitely affects milk supply cause it seems to have died these last couple days and I have been having to supplement more with formula, because they are really big eaters! At 2-3 weeks Bastien was drinking 2 oz if we were lucky every 3 hours. Embry can down 5 oz almost! (this is pumped breast milk and formula) Jasper eats around 3-4 oz every 3 hours. I've decided to only pump because lets face it I'm not very good at sticking with breastfeeding. And its SO hard with 2! It's tricky even bottlefeeding 2 at once cause their necks are all wobbly right now and its hard to keep both bottles in there mouths with only 2 hands. But I like the whole bottle thing because Steven can help me, which gives me a break. And he's so good about it. He usually gets up at least once with me at night to help feed them. These past weeks I have had help from my mom, so when it's just me...I have a plan to trap Bastien in his toy/tv room with me while I feed them so he's not off sitting in the sink eating toothpaste like he was today or opening "mommy's bandaids" and sticking them all over his body! (see below)
Anyways, I have mixed feelings about pumping because its like..I feed them, then I have to pump. It's a long ordeal and it feels like I am doing it ALL day! But I think it would be hard in the beginning no matter what I decide to do! I just cant wait until they can hold their own bottles. Before this whole Jasper ordeal I was getting like 6 0z total every 3-4 hours pumping..which the lactation nurse said was really good. Now I am getting around 4 0r 5 ..but I am slowly building it back up. Anyways, this is all really boring...but this is my life right now..I am a 24/7 milk factory! Well anyways, here are some pictures I have taken lately.
Jasper and Embry
2 weeks old

Jasper in the NICU (the day he came home)

Embry and Jasper yesterday

Jasper today Embry Jasper and Bastien

Bastien didnt want to be left out of the swaddling Bastien found the pads that I got from the hospital and we found him in the bathroom with these on his legs, he calls them "mommy's bandaids"

10 comments:

Camille Witter said...

Thats to funny about bastien and the mommy bandaides! Im glad jaspers home though! What a releif that must be for you. Seriously though I have those gifts for them that i've had since your shower. Hopefully by the time you actually get it they wont be to big for them. We need to plan to get together and hang out or something at least before we leave. I know you're super busy with havin the babies and all so just let me know when youre feelin up to it :)

Anonymous said...

Keep up with the nursing...it isn't always easy but I am on my 7th month and counting down to Odin's year! I just keep telling myself that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it is a HECK of a lot cheaper than formula! Let me know if you need any help! I would me more than happy to come and give you a break!

Nate and Kristen said...

I am so glad that Jasper is doing better, and that he is home. The whole "mommy's bandaids" story is hilarious! Bastien sounds like such a funny kid! (Just like his mom!)

Ana said...

Funny funny boy... mommy's bandaids...that's great!! he's so cute.. those are some pretty big bandaids...;) i am so glad Jasper is home ...;)

Hollie said...

your little bastian is too funny! love the bandaids. im glad to hear that jasper was able to come home and things are going well!

Tina ♥ said...

First of all...cute cute cute!!!! What cute little babies! I know in the beginning the nursing thing is overwhelming, and especially with twins!! I'm glad Jasper is home now.
Thanks for the laugh and sharing about the "mommy band-aids" and Bastien. That is so funny! And Bastien just looks so sweet bundled....hehe. I'm impressed you've had time to post!

Tuihalalalala said...

Wow Bena ~ E & J are BiG...It's wierd because before i looked on your page I still pictured them teeeeny. I just got a breast pump too. Um yeah wierd. Ana made me laugh when she said it looks like a tiny little ab workout..LOL I love reading your blogs appararently so does the rest of your blog world. YOu win on # of blogs! Thanks for keeping us updated on Twilights cast....Love ya. OH LOL on Bastien wanting to be swaddled...I can relate with Lana wanting not to be left out. Lana does this new thing where she cries and cries real tears until i hold her sippy cup up to her mouth....really ridiculous.

Shawn and Tasha said...

Bastien is hilarious!:-) I think it's totally a mini Steven. I'm SO happy that Jaspers doing better & home now. I totally hear you on the milk factory. Some times I feel like saying "MOO!!!" :-)

Michelle Bebe said...

wow. that is hilarious! i would be crying and laughing if i were you!

hope your little angels progress and develop well!

Bekah Parker said...

Salena that is so funny about Bastien! And the boys are so cute. I wish I could be there to see them. I will call you later!! Love you