Thursday, February 28, 2008

"You are my Everest"

The words of Joey Tribbiani sum it up well for me.
Not with eating a whole turkey ..but with breastfeeding. I dont know how anyone does it with one let alone twins. Jenny- HOW? HOW did you do it?! I have been strictly pumping and obviously my supply is not matching their needs. I have to give them some formula,too. I love the way they drink the breastmilk and HATE the way they drink the formula..they act lke they are choking it down sometimes. Anyways, I decided last night to just switch to strictly nursing and it was HELL. I nurse Jasper for 15 mins on one side while I am trying tokeep Embry happy with just a binky in his mouth (they are on the same schedule, so both were hungry) Then Jasper just snacks ..takes a few sucks and stops forever . Then I put a still hungry Jasper down...and pick up Embry and try to feed him for 15 minutes on the other breast. He just keeps falling asleep (At least they are pretty good at latching so I cant complain there) I do this for seriously almost 2 hours straight. All the while ..Bastien is wreaking havoc all over the house. He got out frozen chicken nuggets and was eating them saying "mmm nummy" then spitting them out everywhere saying "OLD!" So the 2 hours is up with me switching each kid every 15 minutes....(there's no way I could hold them both at each breast ...cause I am still getting used to just one there) and I go put Bastien in bed ..come back, and they are both screaming bloody murder like they havent been fed at all. I felt like crying because my 'nips' had turned into hamburger meat by then (sorry TMI) and just made some formula and gave it to them. (cause I didnt pump beforehand..cause I had a different idea of how this was going to turn out)
I gave up last night...but still havent yet given up on the idea. This weekend is going to be pretty busy with errands and my brothers baby blessing in Maricopa..so I'm not going to have any time to just devote to feeding ALL DAY LONG AND NIGHT (thats gonna suck) So I think I'm going to re-attempt this on Sunday night or MOnday. I wonder why I am torturing myself sometimes with my obsession with breastfeeding this time. But then I remember all the colic/formula crap I went through with Bastien and I know it will be worth it. There's nothing wrong with formula feeding your baby. Bastien turned out to be a perfectly healthy kid who hardly gets sick..with the exception of this flu season...Also, I am not by any means a Breastfeeding nazi (well that's obvious!)..I actually HATED it when people would make comments to me about Bastien not being breastfed. I've heard anywhere from ...someone telling me " It's just so much better for your baby" while I am sitting there holding a bottle of formula in my 5 month olds mouth...to...an extreme comment like "I thought you were breastfeeding? OH yeah...you gave up on that one, huh?" The reason I want to do it is (besides that the babies are doing so well on BM) is to prove to myself that I can at least once and also to freaking burn 1000 calories a day (nursing twins) ! Anyways, I will be amazed if you actually made it through this blog...good night I gotta go get some sleep while I can!

15 comments:

Brynn P. said...

Well i've learned something from this post--IF i ever have twins i WILL NOT breast feed!!! I have a hard time with just one....i can't even imagine what you're dealing with!!! But you must be strong for keeping it up! That's so awesome!
GOODLUCK

Carie said...

Maybe a leleache person coming in could help you. They do it for free. Have you contacted some kind of "twins" group that might give you ideas? Sounds like you are doing this all alone and need some experienced people to step in and show you how to do this with twins. Just my two cents!

Ana said...

Salena ...
sorry if i have ever been one of those annoying people about breast feeding .. i know i have.. i just think it is great that you are doing what you are doing breastfeeding or formula.. i give you major props for what you are doing..!!!! Don't worry about what other people think ..!!!! YOU'RE DOING AN AWESOME JOB.....luv ya!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah I get your wanting to breastfeed....it was always a big deal to me too! But if it is causing you so much pain and stress, then maybe it is not worth it. Gotta give it to you for trying so hard...I probably would have given up long before now...what a great mom you are!

Good luck...and Im routing for you! ;)

Anonymous said...

Call the Baby Mother and More store on Gilbert and Southern! The people there are so helpful and knowledgeable! They will be able to give you some pointers and maybe even some supplements to help you supply come in! If you need any help just call me, I am 7 months of nursing and it is getting hard to get my little guy to sit still long enough to nurse!

Shawn and Tasha said...

You're amazing for hanging in there like you are, especially with twinners. My sister-in-law had twins boys and felt the same way. Don't be too hard on yourself though- it's flat out hard being a mom. I'll say it again, you're AMAZING Salena!

Nichole said...

I don't have any advice. Just awe. That you're even trying. That you keep it up. Go you! I really hope it works out like you hope it will.

Tuihalalalala said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tuihalalalala said...

hey just remember ... BF is a type of wonderful torture God gives us women a chance to experience so we can learn joy and pain all at the same time, giving us a greater strength advantage over men. "Anything you can do I can do better..."Annie get your gun"

Poem in the style of Dr.Seuss

You may breastfeed in a store,
on the floor,
while doing a chore.
You may breastfeed in a tram,
just eat all your breakfast, eggs and ham.
You may breastfeed on the stair.
with bad hair
Heck, You may breastfeed anytime anywhere!

Your baby can latch on in a swing,
during a soap opera fling,
save some milk money (Big cha-ching).
They can latch on in a car,
where you are,
near or far.
Twins can latch on in a storm,
cold or warm:
good form.
That baby can latch on in a train,
on a plane,
with a little bit of pain. "ow"
They can latch on two at a time.
They can latch on while you read this silly rhyme.

You can nurse a Jill or Joe.
You can nurse come friend or Foe.
but don't nurse any Betty O'malley.
only if they're yours.
silly Sally

You can nurse them anywhere.
You can nurse clothed or bare.
You can even nurse unshaved of hair.
You can nurse to a pumping machine,
yes you can but watch out they're a bit more mean.

salena said...

Mary! Did you write that poem...of course you did! That was hilarious!

Tiffanyann said...

Salena
you are amazing!! I sometimes want to give up on the whole nursing thing with just one!! Just make sure that you are always happy!!

Gardner said...

WOW!! you're amazing Salena! Yeah I got those dumb bottle feeding comments too. I bottle fed my 1st baby, only nursed my 2nd and with my 3rd i nursed & bottle fed. basically, you just have to do what you feel is right for you & the baby! (and that will come with time & prayer)they're all different! p.s. i miss hanging out with you!

Jill said...

Holy cow Salena- your awesome I am having issues with just one and I can't even imagine how much pain your poor nips are in! My sis had twins her blog page is on mine under torres family, maybe she can give you some pointers! Hang in there and if you ever need ANYTHING!!! Please call!!!!

Michelle Bebe said...

i got the same comments too! i would go in the mother's lounge to sit back and let nash eat a bottle and try and get him to sleep and the ladies would say, "oh, you're not breastfeeding? this is kind of a place for 'Breastfeeding mothers'." I coulda decked her.

I nursed Nash for 10 weeks, and before I killed myself or disowned him I had to stop. Between Mastitis over and over and pain, a non latching baby, he had tounge thrust and THRUSH and ugh! People piss me off that judge.

So, do whatever is best for you, you are a strong person and I think that once you set your mind on something there is NO stopping you. : )

My friend Jenna (under my friends) had twins and nursed and she is super friendly, you could contact her?

Either way, we all should keep you in our prayers!

Tina ♥ said...

It can be so overwhelming!! Gosh, it's hard, but it will get better. I admire you for trying so hard! Bastien must be having lots of fun adventures while you are busy feeding. Don't get to frustrated!