Tuesday, June 10, 2008

a nice little phobia i've gained while living in the good ole QC

I've never encountered so many poisonous spiders in my life! Before moving to Queen Creek I had never seen a black widow, only daddy long legs and I was never scared of those. Besides an ambundance of BW's, there are the AZ version of the brown recluse. Oh dont worry, I probably kill about 4-5 of those in my house a week. Well today I reached my breaking point. Bastien plays on the back porch every day. And this morning he's all " Mommy a 'pider" After getting the bug spray, as I am about to walk out the sliding door. I see that the whole bottom part of the porch is full of webs, mostly in the corner, I figure its a brown spider or maybe a black widow. He is pointing to the corner so I just sprayed it and out crawl like, seriously 5 spiders! 2 black widows, 1 huge and one smaller. and the rest were those brown spiders!!!! The I lift up this screen door thing I had leaning against the wall and there are like 5 more brown spiders behind it! AHH! The hairs on my freshly shaven legs are starting to come through just thinking about this! Also, I'm sure the crazy weeds in our backyard are not helping any. Bastien wasnt even scared of them, even though I was freaking out! And he is one little scaredy cat of everything. He watches that cartoon "Miss Spider" so he probably thinks theyre nice, no matter how much I've ingrained into his brain that real spiders are mean and you should never touch them. I know I'm a little paranoid. Like what's the worst that could happen? You get bitten and have to have an antibiotic. But just the thought of that creepy thing crawling on my babies and biting them seriously stresses me out. My friend Deserea's son was bitten by those brown spiders on his leg and there was a huge area that was all red and welted looking and the skin felt hard, like it had died. And she said it was even worse looking after it happened. I do not want those things anywhere near my babies perfect little skin! We are getting the house and yard sprayed on Thursday. I hope it actually works. I guess it's good peace of mind, too. Can you tell by now that I'm a bit of an arachnaphobe?

8 comments:

Ana said...

Yeah those weeds can breed mosqutio's too!!! be careful...not too scare you .. you probably already know that .. just in casers.. Evan got pretty bad squito bits all over ... him ...let me just tell you the magic.. healer ...hydrogen proxide.. the best ever!! and of course some anti itch ..creme

Camille Witter said...

sick! i hate spiders!

Bekah Parker said...

You need to call pest control!

Shawn and Tasha said...

Yikes! I totally agree with you and not letting my little babies getting bit. Spiders are just plain freaky! That's one part of QC I don't miss. I bet once you get your yard sprayed and landscaped (if you guys stay??) then you won't have nearly as bad of a problem. I think we had the worst problem with spiders on our back porch and in our garage next to our shoes (AHH!) What part of QC are you guys in? We use to live in Castlegate (Schnepf and Ocotillo). EVERYONE is out there now!

Anonymous said...

Hate spiders...eeewww! Good luck...

Did I say I HATE spiders??

Anonymous said...

Oh man Salena..you had me busting up with your comment of the condiments on the top shelf in the fridge...that is ME...SO ME...to a T! I can't stand that, and we just had a family meeting about that...to NOT do that. Glad to hear that it is not JUST me...oh Im still laughing....too fUnNy!

Tina ♥ said...

I'm glad you are getting your house sprayed. We have had our house sprayed regularly, and i really think it makes a big difference. But I definatley agree with you! It's scary and nasty!

The Scotts said...

I thought I heard you screaming. I just sprayed bug spray everywhere this morning! I hate them too!